Walchand College of Arts and Science, Solapur was established on 8th July 1962 with Arts, Science and Commerce faculties. However, in the year 1972, Commerce faculty was separated and was given the status of a separate college Hirachand Nemchand College of Commerce, Solapur. In 1979, Sholapur College, Sholapur was renamed at the auspicious hands of Hon. A.B. Vajpeyee, former P.M. of India. Our college began with Under Graduate departments of Chemistry, Mathematics, zoology, Botany and Geology in Science faculty. The subjects like History, Ardhamagadhi, Logic Co-operation, Public Administration; N.S.S., Tourism Geography, Environmental Science, Physics, Statistics, Electronics, Microbiology and Sports have been being offered at U.G. Part- I and II levels. With a view to enabling the students in this region to get educated in Master of Social Work a new academic adventure was undertaken in the form of P.G. department of Social Work in 1970. In 1972 the college started to run P.G. course in Zoology, which happened to be the first department outside Shivaji University. Likewise the P.G. Courses of part-I in English, Marathi, Sociology and Economics were also initiated in 1987. The complete P.G. courses in Marathi and Economics were started in 1997. Recently Solapur University, Solapur has recognized the departments of Chemistry and Zoology for research work in M.Phil, and Ph.D programmes. The college has initiated Entire B.Sc. Biotechnology course from June 2008. The college has also started M.Sc. (Inorganic Chemistry, Bioinformatics & Genetics) from June 2009. Recently the complete P.G. courses in Hindi & English were started in June 2009. It is our dream project to train and produce manpower in the field of this modern technology.From this Academic year the college has started the M.Sc. (Biotechnology) course.
The Vision and Mission of the institution:
To impart education as a commitment to contributing to the all-round development of the students, to the national empowerment and to the global integrity through the inculcation of Knowledge, Character, Service, Management and Love.
- Social transformation through humanistic approach
- Development through demystification of science
- Eco-mission for sustainable development
- Social conscientization for holistic activism
- Building youth through value-based education
- Ensuring social justice to the marginalized to uphold social equality
- Equipping professional social workers for contributing to the development of social work culture
AIMS & OBJECTIVES OF THE INSTITUTION
- To impart knowledge and not merely information render valuable service in the field of education
- To achieve academic excellence in the different faculties of education
- To make sincere efforts for the all around development of the personality of the students.
- To make the students aware of their community and social responsibilities and give them a social perspective
- To train the students in the matter of values like equality of opportunities, education discipline, respect to the elders, love of truth & justice
- To nurture students towards better citizenship
- To create an atmosphere of amicability and co-operation conducive to integration.
- To provide various opportunities to the students for the cultivation of their artistic and academic and athletic talent and to offer them every opportunity for the flowering of their talents
- To aim at the cordial relationship between students and teacher contributing to enrichment of the personalities of both
- As an educational institution, to contribute to the social good by sending responsible, citizen to the society